90 kms from Chandigarh
This pilgrimage centre has been revered for thousands
of years as a sacred spot where Lord Krishna encouraged the Pandava hero, Arjun,
with his divine message, the Bhagvad Gita. The battlefield-Kuru-kshetra, or
field of the Kurus- can be seen today along with the numerous temples and sacred
Lord Vishnu was impressed with the act of King Kuru and blessed him. God gave
him two boons, one that this land forever will be known as a Holy Land after his
name as Kurukshetra (the land of Kuru) and the other that anyone dying on this
land will be going to heaven. The land of Kurukshetra was situated between two
rivers — the Sarasvati and the Drishadvati.
Places of interest
- Brahma Sarovar: Every year lakhs of people
come to take a holy bath at Brahma Sarovar on the occasion of "Somavati
Amavasya" (Sacred No-Moon Day that happens on a Monday) and on solar eclipse
believing that a bath in holy sarovar frees all sins and cycle of
- Sannihit Sarovar: This sarovar is believed
to be the meeting point of seven sacred Saraswatis. The sarovar, according
to popular belief, contains sacred water. Bathing in the waters of the tank
on the day of Amavasya (night of complete darkness) or on the day of an
eclipse bestows blessings equivalent to performing the ashvamedh yajna.
- Bhishma Kund Jyotisar: The famous site where
Bhagavad Gita was delivered to Arjuna
- Krishna Museum has some historical artifacts and
paintings depicting the Mahabharata war.
- Kurukshetra Panorama and Science Centre: A
world-class panorama depicting the Mahabharata war with scientific
explanations justifying every episode in the war. There are also several
scientific exhibits designed to kindle a curiosity for science.
- Kalpana Chawla Planetarium
- Dharohar: A must visit to know the tradition and
culture of Haryana; located in Kurukshetra University.
- Sheikh Chehli ka makbara (tomb)
- Sthaneshwar Mahadev
- Kamal Nabhi
- Valmiki Ashram
- Birla Mandir
- Gurdwara Raj Ghat Patshahi Dasvin
- Gurdwara Teesari Patshahi
- Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi
- Gurdwara Siddh Bati Patshahi Pahili